Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Skeleton Scramble 10/22

Potter's House Skeleton Scramble 5k
Costume Extravaganza!



I hosted a fun costume race to benefit Potter's House on October 22nd at 8am. My plan was to wake up at 5am and head over to campus to chalk out the course, hang up some arrows and signs and the finish/start line banner. However, as I woke up that morning and looked at my phone... it read 7:03... My eyes jumped out of my head and I said a few words I shouldn't have as I jumped out of bed and grabbed the first items of clothing I could find (pair of jeans and a hoodie.. not even a shirt) I had told my volunteers to get there at 7am so I could show them where to stand.
I called my main helper Sarah and told
her I overslept and she said non of the volunteers were even there yet. I got to Potter's House at 7:15 and frantically looked for the chalk. I quickly sprinted the course chalking it and got back at 7:30ish. (Luckily I designed a 1.5 mile loop around campus) I got back and dispersed the volunteers and welcomed our awesome runners with their costumes.


Everything went on without a hitch, and despite the short amount of time available to advertise and no tshirts... we still had 17 people show up, raising about $170 for the Potter's House non-profit Christian coffee house. Almost everyone got one of the prizes (coffee cups full of coupons and merch). Good fun good fun. I look forward to planning it next year with awesome shirts and more time to advertise!

No comments:

Post a Comment