Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sassafras(Wildcat) 5k

I just now realized that I never actually published my post about the 5k in Logan Rogersville on the 15th.

It was slightly chilly out as I got out of my truck and went to pick up my race bib. As usual I lined up in the front of everyone and when the race started I darted out in the lead. It was just the right amount of cold that my arms were numb and just a short enough race that they didn't warm up before I finished. It was a nice out and back on a beautiful country road. Very enjoyable! There was also a duathlon going on at the same time and two guys slowly passed me before they reached their mile turn around point.

Today I decided to be MR. POSITIVE! and Encouraging. I said great job to everyone I passed and thanked the volunteers for their help as I ran by them. What a Beautiful morning!

I was able to pull out a 17:24, steadily getting faster and faster each race! My goal is to get in the 16:00's by the Turkey Trot in November. I also placed first overall winning me a nice medal and a nice blue hoodie. As soon as I finished I went and did the course again for a cool down making sure to encourage everyone still racing!

Something really neat about this race was a conversation I had with a guy after the race. I'm horrible with names, but I think it was Jeff. He had a pretty crazy awesome story! I picked up running a few years ago and qualified for Boston on his first try. The crazy thing was that he had a stroke in the middle of his sleep and didn't even know it. Woke up with his arm hurting a little bit and didn't think anything of it. He was born with a small hole in his heart but never knew about it till he started running so much. His heart was working so hard and pumping so much blood that the hole got bigger and eventually caused a stroke, and the fact that he was so healthy also basically saved his life. So interesting... But he was a great example of Christ and praised Him throughout his story.

No comments:

Post a Comment